Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, July 21, 2011


Death is just life's next big adventure.

Humans have a knack for choosing precisely
the things that are worst for them.

I really don't believe in magic.

Indifference and neglect often do much
more damage than outright dislike.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.


J. K. Rowling, author; her final Harry Potter novel
[Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows] went on sale
on this day, 2007


I don’t do this very often ….. but can I do a stereotypical Gay male riff here?? Rowling is going to be 46 years old on July 31. She is fabulously rich (even more rich that the Queen of England) , after being homeless and living in her car. She is wildly successful. She is smart. Do you not just hate this “b**ch ??!!

OK. I’m recovered. I am thrilled for her. And while I have pangs of it, I’m not jealous ….. really. So, here are some of Rowling’s thoughts. Good thoughts! Think on them today. And here are my short but pithy remarks.

What gets you to the point of being able to say “Death is just life’s next big adventure”? I’ve worked on this for decades. I am at the point presently where whatever comes after this earthy Life - be it Nothing or a tasteful Palladian mansion in Heaven or something in between - I’m OK with it. I’m just hoping that getting to the dispatch moment won’t be filled with too much pain. I’m a coward.

Boy, do we ever have the knack for choosing the worst things! Why is that?? Did some Deity design it that way? And if so, why? Do we humans only learn from disaster?? My experience says No; we really learn from success. So, it behooves us to help each other to succeed.

I don’t believe in magic either. “Magic” is a metaphor for Imagination. I think that Imagination is one of our greatest gifts. It allows us to “see” possibilities. And if we’ve paid any attention, and been taught well, we know that we humans have the capacity to figure anything out!

The opposite of Love is indeed ….. Indifference. Not caring is inhuman.

Actively Living is the Goal. But dreams help.

May you have a wildly uncontrollable loving day!

Brian+

No comments: