Monday, July 11, 2011

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, July 12, 2011


As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe
will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude,
poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.


Henry David Thoreau, author, philosopher; he was
born on this date, 1817, in Concord MA


I am told that the Universe tends to greater and greater complexity, and that complexity is a character of higher intelligence. So ….. that is my excuse that, though Dennis and I said when we moved into this house that we would “simplify” - there is not a space on any wall, and new and gorgeous and charming and interesting Things keep appearing! The last being, of all things, an English porcelain covered chamber pot that I absolutely had to have, and which now sits on our bathroom counter holding/hiding various tubes, beard and hair trimmer, eye drops, Preparation H, etc. It is a great consolation to know that our house is an ever-growing manifestation of our exalted intelligence!

And to be perfectly candid, Thoreau’s house in Concord is perfectly nice, and anyone can live in a charming cabin on Walden Pond for a little while! Though I lived just down the road for 18 months, and I must admit that the damp winter might have been a challenge …… at least for me!

Regardless: Thoreau is I think correct. Life gets more and more complicated, and the more complicated and full of “stuff” it gets, materially and spiritually, the more stress there is. And Stress is the greatest of the Unseen Killers in a society like ours. I know this from one example: when I was working, I dashed around with only seconds to spare, racing in my car from one thing to another, usually speeding, and very unconsciously stressed by the specter of police and a hefty fine. Now, I drive the speed limit – and it’s balm to the soul!

Go with the flow and patterns of the Universe. Befriend yourself and enjoy your own company. Eat little of good things. Let go of unnecessary control. Follow the Golden Rule.

Life does indeed get better!

Brian+

No comments: