Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, May 31, 2012




Behold I do not give lectures or a little charity;
When I give I give myself.

Walt Whitman, poet; he was born
on this date, 1819, at West Hill NY

Ourself. This is the greatest gift we can give. Including to ourselves. Everything else is a token … and it’s important what we give is a token of. Gifts of “things” don’t have to be expensive … but at their best, expensive things should express that we are giving a great deal of Ourself. However, “simple gifts” … like that of a child to a parent or friend - a drawing, etc., are on the level of a big diamond to a person one wants to marry.

When I was the Rector of St. Peter & St. Andrew in Providence RI, I asked a 12 year old ADHD boy names Andrew to give the “homily” at the Christmas family liturgy. It took him forever to write it, his mother told me. It was about 30 words long. It  took him about 7 minutes to read it from the pulpit. But there wasn’t a dry eye in the house! He just told the Baby Jesus how wonderful He was … and thanked Him for coming. But what a gift! It was both a gift of himself, and an understand that Jesus had given Himself so that the Human Race might know who they were.

I guess Walt’s message is clear:  Never give any gift to anyone without asking yourself: Does it carry me as the true gift?

The Christian Myth says, “God so loved the World that He gave His only-begotten Son”.

A human being bearing the gift of Divine Origin, of Unconditional Belovedness.

There’s our standard.

Brian+


No comments: