Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Tuesday, May 29, 2012




Let yourself get shaken up.
What are you willing to give up to ensure your own unfolding,
and the unfolding of what is holy in your life?
Where you stumble, here is your treasure. 

Joseph Campbell


I don’t like getting “shaken up”! Perhaps we all have a longing for calm and smoothness in our lives. I know I do … and I think a lot of it has to do with a sense of inadequacy, of the nagging inability to cope, to deal with the things that shake us.

Remember “No Pain, No Gain”; “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”? Essentially, it’s accurate. Perhaps more of the mind and spirit than the body … but having had an aortic valve replacement, a burst colon, colostomy and reversal, and a hole in my heart repaired, my body too is much better than it was for the shaking up and repair work! Each time, I gave up a bit of the fear of dying. New life unfolded.

I think any good life path, religious or philosophical or whatever, will tell you to expect shaking up, to engage with it, how to prepare yourself mentally and in spirit to do that … and how to get help.

Number one:  tame the Ego! (That’s what “turn your life over to your higher power” means.)

Hope you have a great day of giving up and unfolding!

Brian+

No comments: