Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, May 23, 12




Sometimes we behave as though
there was something more important than life.
But what?

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


But what indeed.

In general, I don’t “approve” of private schools. Because, in principle, I want a strong public school system where all get the best education. As a boy, I went to elementary and to high school with 40 students per class in 5 rows of 8, in Montreal. I got a good education. No one thought – or at least it was never said – we were being educated to get a job. We were being educated to be a person. We were being taught skills and develop talents for Life. At least that’s how it came across to me. I think we’d be a lot better off if we went back to this as a basic premise of “education”.

The Christian Myth (“myth” meaning “truth story” – should I keep saying this every time?) is that Jesus, the God-Bearer, died ….. and rose again. Even the Psalmist says, “I shall not die, but Live!” The concept of Eternal Life, proposed in various forms by various religions and philosophies, is a construct of the human mind which seeks to overcome the inertia of “death”.

LIFE is what it’s all about. I will always remember awaking from my open heart surgery and being astonished that I was Alive! I was literally amazed at the wonder of Being Alive. I think all my Life I’ve had a sense of that wonder, and I’ve tried to live fully most of my Life … but that moment clinched it. I’ve been hell-bent determined since then to grab as much of Life as possible … and I think that having a husband whose name is MUCH is one of God’s little jokes!

There’s nothing more important than Life. Our work is to learn, on every level, how to Live and for what purpose, both individually and as the human race.

May today be abundantly, ecstatically Lived!

Brian+

No comments: