Thursday, January 1, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Friday, Jan 2, 2009


What in heaven's name is strange about a grandmother
dancing nude? I'll bet lots of grandmothers do it.


- Sally Rand, actress and fan dancer, born on this day, 1904


I hope that Sally is right! OK all you grandmothers out there, you can verify this! Let me know if Sally is right, at least when it comes to you. (I won’t sell this information to anyone, I promise! Nor, if you are a churchgoer, will I email your clergyperson.)

I’ve been to several nudist encampments and beaches in my interesting Life. They both embarrass me and they encourage me. They are, in my view, very helpful. First, they get us over the dreadful grip that modern advertising has on us – where “we” have to be trim and gorgeous and buff etc., or we feel bad. That is, if you have enough background teaching that sensibly reminds you that you don’t have to look like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to be “beautiful”.

Secondly, they remind us that we have bodies, that “God” gave them to us, and that bodies are both to be revered and to be treasured with a certain amount of humour!

Thirdly, the body is a very helpful reminder of our mortality. It gets too fat or thin; it has scars (at least mine has plenty) from the repairs that have had to be made; it quits on us at the most inconvenient times; it stops being able to do the things it used to do; it hurts - and it also reminds us of the joy of simple pleasures, like food and sex and sunshine and jojoba oil and the feel of Egyptian cotton next to it and the warmth of the hot tub ….. etc. Sensual pleasures are a great blessing, if not over-indulged to the point of detriment (I am having to have my face and ears scoured by some meds that take off all the pre-malignant cancers ….. sheesh!)

But my principle point is this: our body comes with the territory of being human. It may be temporary, but it is to be treasured and appreciated and loved and treated well. Even Sally said, “If you love living, you try to take care of the equipment.”

So get out those metaphorical fans, boys and girls ….. grandmother/father or not. Flaunt being flesh as well as spirit! God will be amused ….. and entertained!

Brian+

No comments: