Sunday, April 5, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Monday, April 6, 2009
[ Monday in Holy Week ]



Nothing happened.

- On this day, in the year I was born, 1946,
according to “Brainy History”


I find this immensely ………. calming.

And that is how I feel about Holy Week (which, for those of you not Christian, has just begun), now that I have been retired for a year. Every other Holy Week, for 42 years, (with a little slack for the years I was a monk), it was either at least 5 sermons to write, and 5 major liturgies to craft and organize – most of which had for several years to be done twice since I served two churches at one time. For years I tried to “make sense” of these “High Holy Days/Mysteries”, for myself and for others, though for the last few years, on the advice of a priest colleague, I let the liturgies “speak for themselves” - except for the Feast of the Resurrection, when one had to meet the needs of those who first set foot (or might!) inside a church. Rare were newcomers willing to spend 2 hours at a liturgy on Thursday and Friday and Saturday night before Easter!

This year I am preaching Good Friday. But I have no anxieties or pressure or stress. During this first year of retirement, everything - and I mean Everything - has Opened Up. I have become like an Alien visiting Earth for the first time. Watching with great interest what’s going on around me, especially with “church”. I have experienced fascination, bemusement, amusement, wonder, confusion, laughter, bewilderment, frustration, annoyance, hilarity, anger (yep, even anger), and a lot of other things. And let me tell you, it has been terrific! I wish I had “retired” years ago!

For my Christian friends during this Holy Week, and for my non-Christian friends as well on the level of "Living Life”, I recommend the “spiritual path” of “retirement”. Let it all go for a bit. Don’t try to make sense of It. Just let It flow about you.

I think you will find it extremely refreshing! And a good “position” for being blessed by Life!

Brian+

No comments: