Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Wednesday, April 8, 2009


….. in the midst of this nightmare and calamity of AIDS, I have seen
such eloquent work done by people who are part of the clergy or
part of a religious commitment or calling. Here I am close to the end
of my life, and I somehow think that I am an atheist who is, for better
or worse, still an Episcopalian.


- Paul Monette, author, winner of the National Book Award, 1992

Most of you will know that I am a devotee/disciple of the teachings of Jesus, even in the “padded” form that those teachings have come across to us in the “canonical Gospels”, which are clearly in many ways first-to-third century Christian political propaganda. And most of you will know that I am constantly critical of “organized religion”. In my late teens, and a newly “out” Gay man, I had to think carefully about what brand of Christianity I could espouse. Episcopalianism was the only answer – unless I wanted to become other than Christian, and that is a very difficult cultural shift to make, especially at a young age. (I could do it more easily now.)

The Episcopal Church I joined was then welcoming of very divergent views, theologically, sexually (well, “don’t ask, don’t tell”), politically, etc. This is what appealed to me. I am waiting to see what will be decided at this upcoming General Convention in July. Yes, I am concerned about what will be decided about the blackmail being promulgated in an attempt to intimidate The Episcopal Church to go back on its commitment to Gayfolk. But I am even more concerned about steps afoot to make the Anglican Communion less tolerant of diversity and freedom of association. Decisions to agree to such a process may, sadly, be the step that forces me to look for another faith community.

I believe that the Gospel, and my ordination vows, and my understanding of Jesus, call me to be an instrument by which ALL persons seeking the message of affirmation and unconditional love will find support. To that end, I have never refused the Body and Blood of Christ to any person who appeared at any church I served. And I have gladly welcomed to Communion three Jews who chose to worship with us, as well as many many non-baptized. Most of them came to a deeper relationship with “God” – which is why Jesus came among us (in the Christian story), and the basis for true priestly ministry.

The Episcopal Church is under great criticism and even condemnation there days, from within and without. But let me tell you something. If a man like Paul Monette can describe himself as an “atheist Episcopalian”, and have heard – and even better, experienced from fellow Episcopalians - what I consider to be the essential Gospel message of God’s Unconditional Love, that carried him through to his death, then the Episcopal Church is a faithful servant of God and I am glad to have served in it for over 40 years.

Brian+

No comments: