Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Brian’s Reflection: Thursday, April 16, 2009


'The official pressure placed upon Canon Jeffrey John to withdraw
from his appointment as Bishop of Reading will inevitably cause
many gay people - the celibate as well as those in committed, faithful
relationships – to question whether they can ever find true acceptance
within "mainstream" Christianity.


- comment by Matthew F. Smith, (British) Unitarian Information officer,
on the withdrawal of Jeffrey John as nominee as Bishop of Reading. On
this date, 2004, Canon John was appointed Dean of St Albans Cathedral


So. What is the status, 5 years on, of whether or not Gayfolk will continue to want to be apart of the “mainstream” Christian Church? The whole thing bewilders me – as well as makes me angry. As an Episcopal priest, I come into contact with all kinds of folk, Gay or straight, who ask me what the appropriate thing is for them to do in terms of their relationships to the Christian denominations. I always hesitate in my answer. I always first ask: What are your core commitments to the Gospel? What do you fundamentally believe they are telling you about your support for the Church on this issue?

I am clear. Jesus would simply have said, If you love, you are part of the Kingdom. The Church, on the other hand, seduced by its cowardly allegiance to the “powers of this World”, prevaricates. And, in its prevarication, colludes in the demeanment, abasement, violent abuse of, and denial of human rights to, all Gayfolk. As well as encouraging, by its prevarication, all kinds of appalling mistreatment of Gayfolk. In this, the RC Church, and most so-called misnamed Evangelicals, side with Evil on this issue. In their name, countless Gayfolk are murdered and tortured and mistreated.

I can understand that Gayfolk wish to be a part of a Christian community, or at least of a faith community which nurtures their relationship with a loving “God”. What I can’t understand is why Gayfolk, including myself, continue to have anything to do with a religious community which, by its failure unequivocally to condemn the demonization of Gayfolk, encourages violence against us.

Since I have retired, I have begun seriously to question my allegiance to a faith community which, by its coddling of Gay-bashers of various sorts who reject Jesus’ clear message of truth about loving human beings, nurture hate against what may be 20% of its members who give generously of their time, talent, and money to support the Church. It makes less and less sense to me.

The time of decision, for me, is coming close. True, the Episcopal Church is trying to support Gayfolk. But, not at the basic level. The “basic level” is that there is nothing “wrong” with Gayfolk at any level of being, acknowledging of course that we are as susceptible of unloving behaviour as the rest of humanity, and equally open to “God’s” forgiveness. I am still waiting, after more than 40 years, for such a clear statement. And I am more and more impatient.

I am sure that Dean Jeffrey John is providing solid pastoral care and teaching to his congregants at St. Albans Cathedral. Of course he would. He, like so many of us Gay clergy, cares about his “flock”.

Conscience and integrity eventually demand due allegiance. If soon the Christian Church does not renounce its conspiracy with Evil, and authentically support its Gayfolk, I shall begin to advocate another religious path. For myself as well. In my heart, I know that this is what Jesus would require in order to be faithful to Him.

Brian+

No comments: